As the 2009 Motorcycle season is slowly coming to an end lets look back at the Top 9 for 2009. It has been an incredible year for racing and motorcycle developments.
Top 9 for 2009
9. Best Gadget The best new motorcycle gadget this year goes to the iBike Rider kit. This kit allows you to strap your iPhone to your arm, handlebars, or tank bag and then wire to your helmet. What better way to listen to your favorite tunes while riding your favorite roads.
8. Best Celebrity Gossip Brad Pitt obviously has to be in the top 9 if you mention motorcycles and celebrities. He has made a lot headlines this year with his new motorcycles, riding around LA, avoiding paparazzi and others. The story that seemed to take the limelight is that Brad Pitt crashed his motorcycle while trying to flee paparazzi.
7. Best Naked Sportsbike The Ducati Streetfighter combines race proven performance with Italian streetfighter Italian looks. With a superbike engine package and handling to match this is the best Streetfighter/Naked bike for 2009. Ducati Streetfighter
6. Best Motorcycle Racing Pass This pass goes hands down to Valentino Rossi against Jorge Lorenzo at Catulunya. Valentino Rossi once again proves why he is 9 time Champion. The stage was set with Jorge Lorenzo and Rossi battling back and forth the entire race. Everyone was on the edge of their seats while Rossi was trailing Lorenzo on the last lap. On the final turn of the final lap Rossi makes one of the bravest maneuvers we have seen since his pass on Stoner last year at Laguna Seca. The pass on Lorenzo kicked his rattled his self esteem for the remainder of the season. This said by many was the turing point of the season.
5. Best 600 Sportbike The 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R is the middleweight bike of the year. With the new big piston forks use MotoGP technology and make a huge difference in handling compared to the rest of the class. The engine is superb and mid range is is significantly improved over previous models. So if you are looking for a new 600 class superbike start with the Kawasaki ZX-6R.
4. Most Anticipated New Bike of 2009 The BMW S1000RR and RSV-4 have both been highly anticipated this year. Both of these European Superbikes have the most trick parts ou could want on a modern sportbike and both were new comers to World Superbike this year. Only one could take this position and it is…….Aprilia’s RSV-4. The Italian manufacture has designed the closest thing to a production road legal World Superbike.
3. Rookie of the Year Do you even have to guess who takes this award? The Texan Ben “Elbowz” Spies had an amazing year with setting the biggest superpole win streak to date and winning the World Superbike Championship onboard the all new Yamaha R1. The championship came down to the last race where Noriyuki Haga crashed in race 1 opening the door for Spies to take home the victory if he finished in the top 7. Spies now graduating to MotoGP to replace James Toseland at Tech 3 Yamaha raced the last race of the year at Valencia and assisted his new teammate Colin Edwards to 4th place.
2. Bike of the Year The all new 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 has been a sensation in it’s first year. With it’s MotoGP inspired technology with cross-plane crankshaft and all new suspension the bike has won championships around the globe. This bike has raised the bar in performance and other manufactures are now scrambling to match (Honda now has Cross-Plane Crank technology in next generation CBR) 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1. Yamaha Sweeps World Championships Valentino Rossi wins his 9th World Championship at the MotoGP level. Ben Spies wins the World Superbike Title and Cal Crutchlow wins the World Supersport Championship all on the same day. What an amazing feat by any single rider to win the championship but for Yamaha to sweep the world stage is definitely the number 1 Story of 2009.
Well I hoped you liked our Top 9 of 2009. Let us know what you think in the comments sections below.